[Ocfs2-users] question about _datavolume

Shashank bhides at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 07:52:16 PST 2011

I want to know whether _datavolume can be used for non-database
filesystems. Oracle support is recommending the use of _datavolume
along with _netdev

In reading the documentation, I have found the following which
suggests _datavolume should never be used for anything other than the
CRS/OCR/DATA/REDO/ARCHIVElogs/control files.

The files we are storing are conucrrent log and output files as well
as some temporary files. These are shared between 2 concurrent nodes
and 2 database nodes. Can you advise is my assumption of not using
_datavolume is correct?

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2-tools/dist/documentation/v1.2/ocfs2_users_guide.pdf

It's printed in bold :

Oracle database users must mount the volumes containing the Voting
Disk file (CRS), Cluster
Registry (OCR), Data files, Redo logs, Archive logs and Control files with the
datavolume,nointr mount options. The datavolume mount option ensures
that the Oracle
processes open the files with the o_direct flag. The nointr mount
option ensures that the reads
and writes on that device are not interrupted by signals. All other
volumes, including Oracle
home, should be mounted without these mount options.

The _netdev mount option is a must for OCFS2 volumes. This mount
option indicates that the
volume is to be mounted after the network is started and dismounted
before the network is
shutdown. (The datavolume and nointr mount options are only required
for Oracle data files, etc.)