[Ocfs2-users] [Oc] OCFS2 showing "No space left on device" on a device with free space

Herman herman6x9 at ymail.com
Thu Dec 8 07:20:14 PST 2011

>On Dec 7, 2011, at 11:40 AM, Herman L <herman6x9 at ymail.com> wrote:
>
>>Em Tue, 6 Dec 2011 17:58:15 +0800
>>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>This is a known issue and was fixed in ocfs2 1.6 series by enabling the
>>>discontig-bg feature.
>>>
>>>If you are not using DRDB you can upgrade your kernel and ocfs2-tools
>>>using the ULEK 5.5 series, provided by oracle at
>>>http://public-yum.oracle.com/ .
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>Sérgio
>>
>>We are also having a similar issue, but we are using DRBD.  We are set at the minimum 2 node slots, so I can't reduce those any more.
>>
>>Is there any other good way to fix this problem, at least for a while?  What about ways to preemptively clear some fragmentation before we get the dreaded error?
>>
>>I think moving files off the filesystem and back works somewhat, but how can I tell which files to move would have the most effect?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Herman

 also get into this problem very often and our observation is, if you
create very big file on the file system with lower cluster size it would
 get out of extents and hence it would say out of space, hence we
separated big files into different file systems and accordingly adjusted
 the cluster size.

>Is ocfs2 certified on SLES 10 sp4 as well or we must first go to 11?
>

>Pravin

So, then if I move large files out of the filesystem and put them back, I ought to get back a decent number of extents?

I believe doing:
debugfs.ocfs2 -R "stat //inode_alloc:0000" /dev/drbd1
will show me in the "Bitmap Total: xxxxx Used: xxxxxx Free: xxxxx" line which has something to do with the number extents I have left?  But on  test machine, I tried force the Out of Space by duplicating a lot of small files and at the same time creating some large ones.  I got the "Free:" to go to 0, but then it bounced back up again.

But how can I use debugfs.ocfs2 to find the worst offenders or maybe a directory of a large number of minor offenders.

And what's the best way to try to force the Out of Space error on a test machine?

Thanks,
Herman