[Ocfs2-users] No space left on device error, older kernels?

Antonis Kopsaftis akops at edu.teiath.gr
Fri Oct 29 10:23:59 PDT 2010

On 29/10/2010 1:56 μμ, Antonis Kopsaftis wrote:

> On 28/10/2010 6:39 μμ, Herbert van den Bergh wrote:
>> You don't need to buy a support license to use Oracle Linux.  You can
>> download and use it for free.
> Thats not an option, because only the base distro is free. To download
> updates you have to buy a support contract.
>> You can configure your system to get the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel
>> from public-yum.oracle.com.
>>
>> You don't need to "upgrade" to Oracle Linux to install the Unbreakable
>> Kernel, as long as the distro you are using is binary compatible with
>> Red Hat / Oracle Linux.  If you added third party modules to your
>> system, you will have to get new ones for the Unbreakable Kernel.
>> Otherwise you should be able to just drop it in place.
> That seems  a reasonable solution. I might try it...
In my lab i tried installing the  Unbreakable Kernel on a
ScientificLinux 5.5 x64 machine. The upgrade was a success
only after i removed the yum-priorities package.

The problem is that after the upgrade the system seems to be pretty
messed up.  During boot many errors are recorded about various
services. So even if the system seems to work, and the various errors
could be bypassed, it a bit risk to put something like this in
production...:-)

So, i suppose that installing the Unbreakable Kernel on SL5.5 its an
option, only if you feel very lucky!!!!

Regards,
.akops

PS: Also i would like to add that, because my lab server  was a vmware
virtual machine, after the upgrade to oracle kernel , the vmware tools
stopped working. I tried
to reinstall them, but the compilation some of the vmware-tools modules
did not succeded...