[Ocfs2-users] No space left on device error, older kernels?

Antonis Kopsaftis akops at edu.teiath.gr
Fri Oct 29 03:56:44 PDT 2010

On 28/10/2010 6:39 μμ, Herbert van den Bergh wrote:

> You don't need to buy a support license to use Oracle Linux.  You can
> download and use it for free.
Thats not an option, because only the base distro is free. To download
updates you have to buy a support contract.
> You can configure your system to get the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel
> from public-yum.oracle.com.
>
> You don't need to "upgrade" to Oracle Linux to install the Unbreakable
> Kernel, as long as the distro you are using is binary compatible with
> Red Hat / Oracle Linux.  If you added third party modules to your
> system, you will have to get new ones for the Unbreakable Kernel.
> Otherwise you should be able to just drop it in place.
That seems  a reasonable solution. I might try it...

> Oracle has not dropped support for OCFS2 on EL5.  Yet.  But some
> problems are too difficult to fix in the older version.  The decision
> was made that fixing this particular problem in the old OCFS2 version
> was more risky than living with the problem.
My "personal" opinion, is that as oracle decided not to fix such a
serious bug, then OCFS2 is practically  unsable for EL5...So the
statement that "oracle has not dropped support for OCFS2"  is
relevant...to me...

I current have two productions clusters running Scientific Linux and
OCFS2. Both of them are running very well, and i'm very happy with the
OCFS2. But i can't just
wait for the bug to appear. I have to take precautions before the
filesystem starts to have problem.....

Regards,
akops