[Ocfs2-users] 32000 subdir limit

Gavin Hamill gdh at acentral.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 05:03:01 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 03:54 -0700, Joel Becker wrote:

> 	The short answer is "get a version capable of indexed
> directories, and turn them on".  The long answer is that indexed
> directories were just pushed to mainline this cycle - they're going to
> be in 2.6.30 - and the tools support isn't complete.  So you'd need to
> get 2.6.30-rc or 2.6.30 when it is released, and you also need a
> tunefs.ocfs2 that knows how to turn on indexed directories.

Joel,

Thanks for the quick response - OK looks like we'll pursue an interim
route of mod_rewrite and focus on splitting the dir-structure for a
future code release :)

ocfs2 works really well for us in its present state (the 32000-dir limit
aside), and I'm hesistant to start tinkering around with bleeding-edge
code!

Cheers,
Gavin.