[Ocfs2-users] 32000 subdir limit

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Tue Apr 21 03:54:00 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:00:13AM +0100, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> Hi, we've just encountered this in a production system - my bad for not
> thinking about such things ahead of time.
>
> We're using ocfs2 version 1.3.3 as it comes packaged with Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> I've just noticed http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/3/17/390 - what steps would
> be required to move a 1.3.3 two-node system to a system capable of
> addressing more than 32000 subdirs?

	The short answer is "get a version capable of indexed
directories, and turn them on".  The long answer is that indexed
directories were just pushed to mainline this cycle - they're going to
be in 2.6.30 - and the tools support isn't complete.  So you'd need to
get 2.6.30-rc or 2.6.30 when it is released, and you also need a
tunefs.ocfs2 that knows how to turn on indexed directories.
	I don't know when Ubuntu will have a version of the kernel with
this capability, and while I know the tools work will be completed soon,
the release of the capability will take time and testing.

Joel

--

"I think it would be a good idea."
        - Mahatma Ghandi, when asked what he thought of Western

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker at oracle.com