[Ocfs2-users] 32000 subdir limit

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Tue Apr 21 10:17:34 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 01:03:01PM +0100, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 03:54 -0700, Joel Becker wrote:
> > 	The short answer is "get a version capable of indexed
> > directories, and turn them on".  The long answer is that indexed
> > directories were just pushed to mainline this cycle - they're going to
> > be in 2.6.30 - and the tools support isn't complete.  So you'd need to
> > get 2.6.30-rc or 2.6.30 when it is released, and you also need a
> > tunefs.ocfs2 that knows how to turn on indexed directories.
>
> Thanks for the quick response - OK looks like we'll pursue an interim
> route of mod_rewrite and focus on splitting the dir-structure for a
> future code release :)
>
> ocfs2 works really well for us in its present state (the 32000-dir limit
> aside), and I'm hesistant to start tinkering around with bleeding-edge
> code!

	I figured you were more into stable, and that's why I laid out
the newness of the feature.  It's going to go through the usual heavy
testing we do, of course, but it's not there yet.
	I'm glad ocfs2 is working well for you.  Feel free to email with
any more issues, we want to keep people like you happy!

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #497

	"Go down swinging."