[Ocfs2-users] Unable to start cluster with one node

Tao Ma tao.ma at oracle.com
Mon May 12 19:19:47 PDT 2008

Hi David,

David Coulson wrote:
> This is probably a stupid question, but here we go.
>
> I have two boxes running RHEL4U6 with DRBD mirroring disk between them.
> DRBD is setup in active/active mode, and seems to be working nicely. I
> have OCFS2 filesystems build on the DRBD devices, and normally I am able
> to mount them on both nodes and life is good.
>
> Now, I have one node down. Not good, but that is why we have two... DRBD
> is fine, but OCFS2 won't startup correctly.
>
> [root at rhedgetest01 network-scripts]# !/etc/init.d/o2cb status
> Module "configfs": Loaded
> Filesystem "configfs": Mounted
> Module "ocfs2_nodemanager": Loaded
> Module "ocfs2_dlm": Loaded
> Module "ocfs2_dlmfs": Loaded
> Filesystem "ocfs2_dlmfs": Mounted
> Checking O2CB cluster ocfs2: Online
>   Heartbeat dead threshold: 31
>   Network idle timeout: 30000
>   Network keepalive delay: 2000
>   Network reconnect delay: 2000
> Checking O2CB heartbeat: Not active
There is no problem with the status. As for "Not active", it just means
that there is no device hearbeating. So if you don't mount a ocfs2
volume, it will just shows "Not active".

> I take it this has something to do with establishing a quorum, which
> probably isn't happy with a single node. Is there a configuration change
> or workaround that will allow a single OCFS2 node to mount a filesystem?
a single OCFS2 node can mount a file system without any change in the
configuration. So you may try to mount it. If there is any problem,
please paste the error message here. Thanks.

Regards,
Tao