[Ocfs2-users] 2-node Cluster Configuration

D Kennell dkenlwork at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:23:22 PST 2008

hi all,

we're still in the evaluation stage of whether to go with Ocfs2 or Red
Hat's GFS cluster operating systems for Oracle 10gR2 on RHEL4.  the
documentation for Ocfs2 is very, very minimal (is there anything more
available than just the user's guide and the faq on the
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/ page?), so i'm a little fuzzy on
the possible configurations for it.  we're currently running a 2-node
Oracle 9.2.0.7 RAC cluster on a tru64 OS and are wanting to move to a
RHEL 2-node cluster RAC environment.

so my question is - does Ocfs2 allow for a 2-node cluster, since we
would like to stick with that number of nodes?  if one of the nodes
dies, will the other node be able to detect this and keep running
stand-alone until the dead node reboots, etc.?  also, does Ocfs2
require a 3rd machine to administer the nodes, or can the 2 nodes each
be used to administer the entire cluster?

sorry, i have VERY little experience with cluster operating systems,
so i apologize in advance for the newbie language used to ask the
above questions!  please let me know if you need further info or if
what i'm asking makes no sense!  also thanks for any input you have!

Deborah