[Ocfs2-users] 2-node Cluster Configuration

SCOTT, Gavin gavin.l.scott at baesystems.com
Thu Jan 31 15:43:13 PST 2008

I have tested 2 node configuration and the various possible failures
(instance, interconnect, public interface, node) and only found 1
scenario that is not catered for. Should the network card that handles
the private cluster interconnect on node 1 fail (emulate with ifdown
ethx), node 2 will evict itself from the cluster and reboot. Node 1 will
continue to function with a deceased card.

The oracle instance on node 1 will eventually fail due to the interface
card not being available.

After an extensive and protracted debate with Oracle support, they
confirmed that this is in fact the expected and correct behaviour, as
irrational as that seems. It will, however, result in the loss of the
entire cluster until node 2 reboots.

Note, however, that this relates to Oracle Cluster Ready Services (CRS),
not OCFS2, so would probably apply to CRS on GFS as well. This also
dates back a little way (12 months or so) - I am in the process of
revalidating this as it is certainly a vulnerability in a 2-node RAC
cluster. If anyone can correct or update this, please do so.

Sorry that this is a bit off OCFS2 topic, but it's certainly relevant.

Gavin