[Ocfs2-users] Cluster setup

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Thu Oct 11 11:10:23 PDT 2007

I explained you:
1 - single heartbeat interface IS A BUG for me.
2 - self-fencing node which is doing nothing IS A BUG for me. Very (very!)
critical bug because it destroys cluster doing other things.
3 - memory leak in SLES9 SP3 is a bug but you do know about it.

Filing a bugs means _I take brand new kernel, take brand new OCFSv2 and test
it in production and staging_. Unfortunately, I need a WORKING
system and not a _TEST_ system so I cant take brand new Linux kernel and
experiment, and I still have not a time to set up a separate test system for
OCFSv2 only (btw, it's why we do use SLES9 and not SLES10 for now - we need
a _stable_ system). I dont see how I can use OCFSv2 in production for
anything more then 'application home' while we have first 2 bugs (which you
never counted as a bugs). So, what do you expect from me - taking brand new
OCFSv2 and testing it.. first 2 bugs still exists and you do know it; taking
it and fixing these 2 bugs.. but you dont agree that these are a bugs.

Sorry. I need a WORKING technologies and I really have a working
technologies (after many weeks of testing). For example, Oracle DataGuard
(with OEM setting and observer) is really a 100% reliable technology (never
ever caused any trouble in staging, even with all our intentilnal and
nonintentional failures) and we do use it. Heartbeat (1 and 2) with external
fencing is reliable technology and we do use it. OCFSv2 ... as I can see
from design (confirmed by running it in development) is not reliable enough
yet... so we use it in limited cases only. We run it in a few dev clusteres,
and it always cause a trouble during any infrastructure failure... not
counting for numerous memory leaks in older versions, SLES10 upgrade bugs
(counting to Novell but anyway) and so on...

Fix design bugs or agree that they do exists... and we can go forward. Until
now I see a great reluctance in confirming these problems...