[Ocfs2-users] Ocfs2 patch set for Linux v2.6.22 Ocfs2 now available

martin sautter martin.a.sautter at oracle.com
Wed Aug 22 08:24:12 PDT 2007

Mark,

at least a short response. Your offer is great.
For me it is a way to show my customers, there are upcoming  features or
changes, which will help for their OCFS2 based development or approaches.

Thanks to you and Sunil

Martin

Mark Fasheh wrote:

>Anyone running Ocfs2 on the 2.6.22 kernel should consider downloading and
>applying the patches under the '2.6.22' directory at the following URL:
>
>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mfasheh/ocfs2/backports/
>
>A direct link to the combined patch is:
>
>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mfasheh/ocfs2/backports/2.6.22/ocfs2_2.6.22_fixes-20070816-1.patch
>
>Anyone on 2.6.22 and exporting Ocfs2 volumes via NFS is strongly urged to
>at least apply the following critical fix:
>
>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mfasheh/ocfs2/backports/2.6.22/broken-out/0001-ocfs2-Fix-bad-source-start-calculation-during-kerne.patch
>
>It's included in the entire series as posted above, so if you grab that, you
>don't need the individual patch.
>

>An explanation of what all this is follows. If all you're doing is running
>ocfs2 1.2, feel free to ignore this e-mail. If you run a mainline kernel
>with Ocfs2 or are considering it, please read on.
>

>All Ocfs2 bug fixes are sent upstream at the earliest possible date. Some
>times however, they don't make it upstream until after a stable kernel is
>released.
>
>If a bug is severe enough, I will send the fix to the -stable team which
>will review it and put it in an update kernel, if it passes their criteria -
>which are rather stringent.
>
>Most fixes fall short of the criteria for -stable, but might still be
>useful to folks running Ocfs2 on mainline kernels. This is where my Ocfs2
>patch series comes into play.
>
>My goal is to provide a reliable series of bugfix patches for those folks
>running "bleeding edge" mainline kernels. This way they can get the most
>stable mainline Ocfs2 version possible while also getting access to the
>latest file system features.
>
>The way I plan to achieve this is by backporting bug fixes from the current
>development kernel into the most recent released kernel. Not all fixes will
>be backported, only those which I feel are straightforward and relatively
>small.
>
>Once Linus tags the current development kernel as a stable one, it takes
>about a month before my first set of patches is ready. Once those have had
>some testing and are up on kernel.org, I'll send an e-mail to this list.
>Additional patches will be added as they become available.
>
>Typically, any Ocfs2 patches for the initial release of a kernel will apply
>to all subsequent versions without any problems. So for example, my '2.6.22'
>series should apply fine against 2.6.22.1, 2.6.22.2 and so on. If there is
>ever a situation where they _won't_ apply, I'll respin the series under a
>directory named for the earliest kernel version on which they should be
>used. For example, if my NFS fix from above makes it into 2.6.22.4, the
>current set of patches will cause a reject. In that case, I'll add another
>directory, 2.6.22.4 with a patch series that no longer includes the NFS fix
> [...]

Oracle Email Signature Logo
Martin Sautter | Principal Member Technical Staff| +49 06227 746390
Oracle Product SAP Development Applied Tech
SAP Partner Port Altrottstrasse 31 Walldorf , 69190