[Ocfs2-users] Ocfs2 patch set for Linux v2.6.22 Ocfs2 now available

Mark Fasheh mark.fasheh at oracle.com
Fri Aug 17 14:53:09 PDT 2007

Anyone running Ocfs2 on the 2.6.22 kernel should consider downloading and
applying the patches under the '2.6.22' directory at the following URL:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mfasheh/ocfs2/backports/

A direct link to the combined patch is:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mfasheh/ocfs2/backports/2.6.22/ocfs2_2.6.22_fixes-20070816-1.patch

Anyone on 2.6.22 and exporting Ocfs2 volumes via NFS is strongly urged to
at least apply the following critical fix:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mfasheh/ocfs2/backports/2.6.22/broken-out/0001-ocfs2-Fix-bad-source-start-calculation-during-kerne.patch

It's included in the entire series as posted above, so if you grab that, you
don't need the individual patch.

An explanation of what all this is follows. If all you're doing is running
ocfs2 1.2, feel free to ignore this e-mail. If you run a mainline kernel
with Ocfs2 or are considering it, please read on.

All Ocfs2 bug fixes are sent upstream at the earliest possible date. Some
times however, they don't make it upstream until after a stable kernel is
released.

If a bug is severe enough, I will send the fix to the -stable team which
will review it and put it in an update kernel, if it passes their criteria -
which are rather stringent.

Most fixes fall short of the criteria for -stable, but might still be
useful to folks running Ocfs2 on mainline kernels. This is where my Ocfs2
patch series comes into play.

My goal is to provide a reliable series of bugfix patches for those folks
running "bleeding edge" mainline kernels. This way they can get the most
stable mainline Ocfs2 version possible while also getting access to the
latest file system features.

The way I plan to achieve this is by backporting bug fixes from the current
development kernel into the most recent released kernel. Not all fixes will
be backported, only those which I feel are straightforward and relatively
small.

Once Linus tags the current development kernel as a stable one, it takes
about a month before my first set of patches is ready. Once those have had
some testing and are up on kernel.org, I'll send an e-mail to this list.
Additional patches will be added as they become available.

Typically, any Ocfs2 patches for the initial release of a kernel will apply
to all subsequent versions without any problems. So for example, my '2.6.22'
series should apply fine against 2.6.22.1, 2.6.22.2 and so on. If there is
ever a situation where they _won't_ apply, I'll respin the series under a
directory named for the earliest kernel version on which they should be
used. For example, if my NFS fix from above makes it into 2.6.22.4, the
current set of patches will cause a reject. In that case, I'll add another
directory, 2.6.22.4 with a patch series that no longer includes the NFS fix
(as it will have been included already).

Shortlog of the current set of patches follows:

Mark Fasheh (6):
      ocfs2: Fix bad source start calculation during kernel writes
      ocfs2: Fix casting error in page index calculation
      ocfs2: Restrict inode changes in ocfs2_update_inode_atime()
      ocfs2: Fix max offset calculations
      ocfs2: check ia_size limits in setattr
      ocfs2: set non-default s_time_gran during mount

Sunil Mushran (2):
      ocfs2: Fix rename/extend race
      ocfs2: Retry sendpage() if it returns EAGAIN

Finally, any feedback about this process (positive or negative) would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
	--Mark

--