[Ocfs2-users] Bad magic number in inode

Sunil Mushran Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com
Wed Nov 15 09:43:51 PST 2006

The quick detect just looks for the superblock which is in the third
block of the device. The full detect looks up the superblock and then
the system directory. In your case it fails to locate the latter.

This is one of the quirks when using an unpartitioned disk and later
partitioning it. The partitioning does not clear all the header blocks
that includes the fs superblock.

Long story short... use any binary editor (bvi), open the volume
and search for the OCFSV2 string. Change that signature.
Hint: It will be the first string in the third block. If you had formatted
with 4k blocksize, it will be on block starting at 8K, for 2k it will be
block starting at 4K.... you get the drift.