[Ocfs2-users] Performance of OCFS2

Kevin Hulse kevin.hulse at placemark.com
Wed May 17 07:31:54 CDT 2006

Peter McMahon wrote:

>Hi,
>new to all of this OCFS2 stuff...planning on using it
>for a production 10gR2, EBS 11.5.10.2 RH 4 system...4
>nodes sharing disks...all connected to an EMC storage
>array. Each node is a 2xXeon 3GHz(+) (with HT = 4) CPU
>box, with 8 G RAM.
>
>Looking at using OCFS2 for Shared OH, Shared APPL_TOP,
>and Datafiles etc.
>
>Doing some very basic perfoamnce testing as I found
>OCFS2 very slow when applying 11.5.10.2 Maintnance
>Patch.
>
>On 'normal' etx3 file systems - copying 18G  (APPL_TOP
>- 100,000 files) from one file system to another took
>15 minutes.
>
>On another box - with NOTHING else running...copying
>same filesystem structure from one OCFS2 filesystem to
>another OCFS2 filesystem took > 1.5 hours - I killed
>it eventually. kswapd was going mad - consuming LOTS
>of CPU - top of 'top' majority of the time when
>copying in progress.
>
>Tried reformating the 'target' file system with 64K
>cluster size - block size was/is 4K...again same
>result - slow copying of files, kswapd going mad...
>
>I'm I missing something - or is OCFS2 not supposed to
>be a 'general purpose' clustered file system? I know
>it supposed to be certified for shared OH ?

Not really. Even if Oracle says it's supposed
to be a general purpose filesystem, it's primary
purpose is to enable the deployment of a
clustered database.

You are faulting a TL for not being able to
haul all of your belongings when you're not
really buying it for that purpose.

>Project Manager is getting scared - not happy with
>performance - say OCFS2 is not ready for the prime
>time...? wants to start using GFS from RH...but costs
>a small fortune...not sure we can justify the cost...
>
>Comments & advise   please

Test your configuration for what it's meant
for: namely RAC. You may need to reconsider
the use of ocfs2 for shared oracle home's but
that shouldn't be a show stopper.