[Ocfs2-users] Performance of OCFS2

Peter McMahon ctazdba at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 17 07:06:15 CDT 2006

Hi,
new to all of this OCFS2 stuff...planning on using it
for a production 10gR2, EBS 11.5.10.2 RH 4 system...4
nodes sharing disks...all connected to an EMC storage
array. Each node is a 2xXeon 3GHz(+) (with HT = 4) CPU
box, with 8 G RAM.

Looking at using OCFS2 for Shared OH, Shared APPL_TOP,
and Datafiles etc.

Doing some very basic perfoamnce testing as I found
OCFS2 very slow when applying 11.5.10.2 Maintnance
Patch.

On 'normal' etx3 file systems - copying 18G  (APPL_TOP
- 100,000 files) from one file system to another took
15 minutes.

On another box - with NOTHING else running...copying
same filesystem structure from one OCFS2 filesystem to
another OCFS2 filesystem took > 1.5 hours - I killed
it eventually. kswapd was going mad - consuming LOTS
of CPU - top of 'top' majority of the time when
copying in progress.

Tried reformating the 'target' file system with 64K
cluster size - block size was/is 4K...again same
result - slow copying of files, kswapd going mad...

I'm I missing something - or is OCFS2 not supposed to
be a 'general purpose' clustered file system? I know
it supposed to be certified for shared OH ?

Project Manager is getting scared - not happy with
performance - say OCFS2 is not ready for the prime
time...? wants to start using GFS from RH...but costs
a small fortune...not sure we can justify the cost...

Comments & advise   please

Peter