[Ocfs2-users] Performance of OCFS2

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Wed May 17 08:49:45 CDT 2006

Peter McMahon wrote:

> I'm I missing something - or is OCFS2 not supposed to
> be a 'general purpose' clustered file system? I know
> it supposed to be certified for shared OH ?
>
> Project Manager is getting scared - not happy with
> performance - say OCFS2 is not ready for the prime
> time...? wants to start using GFS from RH...but costs
> a small fortune...not sure we can justify the cost...

Peter,

Unless your infrastructure is such that ASM does not make sense, why not
try it?  The problem I have with OCFS2 currently is that you have to
have an OCFS2 filesystem per LUN; there is no support for LVM, etc.
This means that if your EMC storage only gives you 200GB meta-LUNs,
that's your max OCFS2 filesystem size.

One of the reasons we're not pursuing ASM is backups; our IT groups have
shunned RMAN for years and ASM requires the use of RMAN for backups.
This means our internal backup tools that handle backups (including
EMC-specific commands) would have to be re-written to use RMAN.

/Brian/