[Ocfs2-tools-devel] [Ocfs2-devel] Add --force option in tunefs

Goldwyn Rodrigues rgoldwyn at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 22:48:19 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 6:19 AM, Sunil Mushran <Sunil.Mushran at oracle.com> wrote:
> Well, we need to have a --force override if only to allow users
> cloning ocfs2 volumes an easy way to change the uuid.
>
> Goldwyn,
> What is your justification for needing this feature? As in,
> allowing force override to change mount type from clustered to local.
> Is this a specific user requirement?

The specific user requirement was to be able to change the number of
slots while the filesystem is online.

> Our fear is that this override will allow some script author to
> hard code it leading to corruption. As in, click here to change the
> mount type. I mean, we already have a force override in mkfs, but
> format is something users understand wipes the data. I am not sure
> users will immediately understand that changing the mount type will
> corrupt the fs if it is mounted on another node.

Yes I agree. Perhaps we could list down the arguments which can be
compatible with force flag, ie with the filesystem online and then
work further on, rather than generalizing for all the options.

--
Goldwyn