[graalvm-users] Graaljs dependency with ASM

Christian Wirth christian.wirth at oracle.com
Tue Jun 25 02:23:50 PDT 2019

Hi Carlos,

we strive for a stable, well tested release, so we rather stayed with a
tested version rather than jump on the newest version, especially for a
library that is used only in specific usecases. That is of course a
trade-off, as newer versions also bring bugfixes. Other sub-projects of
GraalVM have transitioned to ASM 7.0 (or even 7.1) in the meantime.
Graal.js will do that reasonably soon, although there is currently no
ETA for that.

The changelog of ASM 6.2.1 => 7.0 => 7.1 does not include any
spectacular change, so I would assume a newer version should work as
well. However, I am not aware how much ASM strives for compatibility
along versions, and we have not tested that version change ourselves yet.

If manually updating the version does not work for you, please feel free
to open a ticket at https://github.com/graalvm/graaljs/issues so we can
track and discuss there.

Best,
Christian