[graalvm-users] Confused about GraalVM <--> Oracle Java current status

Eric Sedlar eric.sedlar at oracle.com
Fri Oct 26 14:37:52 PDT 2018

Hi Yikes,

You are asking forward-looking questions, which of course are hard to
answer definitively.   Here are my thoughts on them...

* We are working on Windows for GraalVM and hope to have it available in
the next few months
* The Graal compiler (via dynamic compilation) is available
experimentally in JDK 11.  GraalVM is in "release candidate" status
which means that the development team thinks it is ready, but we are
monitoring people with real applications using it (and fixing their
issues) until we feel like enough people are using it with no issues to
say it is ready and that we can meet Oracle's support criteria for
customers (24x7x365 support, 1 hr response times for production system
downtime, etc.).  I'm guessing that we'll call GraalVM production
officially in 2-3 months.  Of course, Twitter has been using it in
production for 2 years, so your mileage may vary from what we say
officially :-)
* OpenJDK 11 incorporates the Graal compiler portion of GraalVM CE in
its release.  Other parts of GraalVM (native images, support for other
languages, etc.) are only available in the GraalVM download.  GraalVM CE
and Java are independent open source projects with separate release
schedules, but of course they borrow from each other.  The GraalVM
download includes JDK8, and we will release a JDK11 version soon, but at
least as of now, there is no plan to have a new GraalVM release for each
Java release, or vice-versa.  There will be a licensing fee for GraalVM
EE (TBD)

Thanks,

   Eric Sedlar
   Vice-President & Technical Director, Oracle Labs