[graalvm-users] Testing polyglot libs

Chris Seaton chris.seaton at oracle.com
Thu Jun 14 08:55:09 PDT 2018

It sounds like you are trying the correct things, and thanks for your perseverance and questions.

> On 14 Jun 2018, at 16:25, Rodrigo Botafogo <rodrigo.a.botafogo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to set up testing for my polyglot lib and I'm having a hard time.  Sorry if I should post somewhere else...
>
> So I tried to test with rspec, but rspec will run ruby somehow and does not pass to ruby the --polyglot --jvm flags.

You should be able to run `--polyglot --native` if you rebuild the ruby image after installing both R and Ruby, by running `gu rebuild-images ruby`.

> Polyglot complains that R is not a known language.  I've googled around and could not find an easy way to make rspec pass flags to ruby.

How are you running RSpec? Are you using `bundle` or `rake`?

Can you run `ruby --polyglot --jvm -S rspec`?

Or there is the environment variable `TRUFFLERUBYOPT` - try putting `--jvm --polyglot` into that, like `TRUFFLERUBYOPT='--jvm --polyglot' rspec`.

> Next I tried minitest, since in this case I call ruby directly with the required flags... but polyglot complains that R cannot execute in multithreaded,

I’m afraid this is a limitation of FastR at the moment - it just doesn’t support multiple threads. GraalJS also does not support multiple threads.

> so I passed -Xsingle_threaded to ruby and minitest complains that it only runs in a multithreaded environment.

Can you somehow run minitest without it trying to create threads? What does it use the threads for? And what does its complaint look like?