[Firewire-devel] RE: [Firewire-users] 4 node firewire cluster

Bruce Carter bruce.carter at oracle.com
Tue May 17 23:03:29 CDT 2005

Check /var/log/messages.

If it says the dive will support 2 concurrent logins then you can only have
two nodes.

If it says 4 you can theoretically have 4 nodes although I don;t know of
anybody who has done this.

Here is an extract from my /var/log/messages

May 17 07:12:10 ukdh364 kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Query logins to SBP-2 device
successful
May 17 07:12:10 ukdh364 kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Maximum concurrent logins
supported: 4
May 17 07:12:10 ukdh364 kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Number of active logins: 0
May 17 07:12:10 ukdh364 kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Logged into SBP-2 device
May 17 07:12:10 ukdh364 kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Node[00:1023]: Max speed
[S400] - Max payload [2048]

This is a Lacie 120 GB drive

The 911 chipset seems to allow 4 logins.  I have seen this on two different
drives

My Lacie 250Gb drive has the 912 chipset and only allows 2.

I have a Maxtor 250Gb (One Touch II) ready to go in.

I will let you know what that says

P.S.  My configuration does not seem to decrement the number of logins on
the disk if a node powers down or reboots so I only get one cycle of reboots
before I have to power the disk off.

I also note that on one node powering off the machine powers off the drive
as well.
The other node doesn't.

I guess this because I have different firewire cards in each box.

Regards

Bruce