[Tmem-devel] Implementing Transcendent Memory on Lguest

Nitin Gupta ngupta at vflare.org
Mon Feb 8 10:04:08 PST 2010

On 02/08/2010 11:04 PM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:

> I'm not very familiar with virtio but tmem requires synchronous
> data transfer between the "tmem server" (hypervisor) and the
> "tmem client" (guest).  I suspect that virtio assumes an
> asynchronous model.  If a virtio device can be configured
> as a synchronous device then your idea might work.

virtio can be made to work synchronously. For virtio version of
"preswap", refer this:
http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/tmem-devel/2010-January.txt

It creates "vswap" device which swaps directly over hypervisor.
Pages are transferred to host using virtio in synchronous manner.

(Links to code are at the end of above archived mail)

Nitin