[rds-devel] git tree for mainline is *almost* ready

Zach Brown zach.brown at oracle.com
Fri Sep 10 11:33:37 PDT 2010

> Also, you didn't like using a union for the different atomic op subtypes
> because future op types could cause ABI breakage.

No, I didn't like changing the size of the atomic_args struct in the patch
series because it *does* cause ABI breakage.

Someone can now bisect into the wrong spot in kernel history and see a
different ABI.  Their apps will use the larger struct and the kernel will copy
in the smaller struct.

It's a small risk, sure.  But it was also easy to avoid.

- z