[rds-devel] RDS Doubt!

Andy Grover andy.grover at oracle.com
Wed Jul 15 15:28:29 PDT 2009

Varun Chandramohan wrote:
> Hi All, Since its inclusion in 2.6.30 kernel i wanted to try out the
> new protocol. However there are few things iam not familiar with. Can
> anyone clarify it?

Hi Varun, sure thing :)

> - I read somewhere that RDS can be used on regular hardware/stack too
> without the need of infiniband/rdma hardware. Is it true? If so i
> plan to run this on kvm system with f10 and 2.6.30 kernel with RDS
> enabled.

RDS in 2.6.30 requires either IB or iWARP adapters -- and even if you
have these, you'd have to jump through hoops to get them visible to a
VM. We'll have a TCP transport available soon that will allow more
systems (incl. VMs) to use RDS, although without RDMA features.

> - I believe i need to install user utils. I found couple of git trees
> in http://www.openfabrics.org/git/. Iam not sure which git tree to
> use. can you suggest one?

The development rds-tools tree is at ~agrover/rds-tools.git, the
production one is ofed_1_4/rds-tools.git, which is probably better to
choose.

> - Having done the above, can i write simple socket programs using
> RDS? Is there something else i need to know or be aware?
> Is there any other documentation other than the one in kernel that
> i can use?

Rds-tools includes both a sample program (thanks Jon!) as well as
manpages for rds and rds-rdma that document its socket interface.

Regards -- Andy