[rds-devel] RDS code in OFED 1.3

Or Gerlitz or.gerlitz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 01:43:46 PST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 8:46 PM, Richard Frank <richard.frank at oracle.com> wrote:

> RDS version 1.3 adds additional interfaces - it does not break the RDS
> 1.2 interface in any way.
>
> RDS 1.3 is the 1.2 RDS driver (assuming all patches have been applied)
> with the additional interfaces - nothing is changed for the normal
> reliable send / recv operations.
>
> Oracle 11g will run on 1.3 with no changes.
>
> Additionally, currently there is no new wire protocol changes for RDS 1.3.
>
> Our current plan is to have the zero copy features stable for 1.3 release.
>
> If for some reason the zero copy interfaces are not stable - then we can
> set 1.3 to run as 1.2 interface only.

Rick,

A distribution (=RH/SUSE/Oracle-Enterprise/Fedora/OFED) is not a place for
if-package-version-X-is-not-fine-then-replace-it-with-package-version-Y

In a distribution one (=package maintainer and only he decides, here its
Olaf) put a release of a package, period. RDS v3 is not released and the
maintainer said he did not look on the code. Hence, this code does not fit
any distribution which is about to pass code freeze in a week or so.

More over, RDS has few issues in the process  to fix way before you want to
put V3 anywhere and it seems that Olaf is working hard to do it, so lets
try to put this argument behind us.

Or.