[Oracleasm-users] asm for fc6

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Mon Feb 5 16:35:14 PST 2007

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 03:45:11PM -0500, Arthur.Rogers at cox.com wrote:
> Has anyone been able to compile asm for fc6(2.6.19-1.2895.fc6xen #1 SMP).

	Well, I had at one point, but perhaps that was fc5?  The vendor
is not found because vendor/fc6 doesn't exist.
	The compile failures are because I haven't modified the
configure.in and the source to check for the inode diet changes, etc.
The kenrel goes forward, and since ASMLib is effectively tied to Oracle
supported platforms, I haven't kept it up.  If you wanted to fix this
up, you'd have to figure out what you need to check in configure.in
(look for OCFS2_CHECK_KERNEL_INCLUDES and ho it munges
GET_SB_HAS_VFSMOUNT, BACKING_DEV_CAPABILITIES, and other variables).
Then you'll have to modify the source to match any defines you create.
Try to keep the source unpolluted.  See how -include
kapi-compat/include/i_mutex.h works to keep the changes out of the
source.
	You don't need the vendor tree to build the module.  You do
need it to build an RPM.  I'd say the first task is to get compiling
working (that is, just ./configure; make).  Then worry about building
RPMs.

> I had to mod the vendor check to allow my box through. It previously used an rpm command; I changed it to just check redhat-release. I attached the very simple patch just for your info.

	Never do this.  The vendor checks are specific for a reason.
Red Hat themselves say that RPM check is exactly how you identify RHEL4.
It works for other versions too.

> I'd love to see Fedora Core supported as a vendor. I'm willing to work on that if necessary.

	It'll never be "supported" in the "Oracle supports you" sense.
If you want to add vendor/fc6, though, I'll commit it to the tree.
You'll have to create vendor/fc6, add it to vendor/Makefile, modify
vendor/fc6/vendor.guess to query /etc/fedora-release properly (with the
RPM command like rhel4), Modify vendor/fc6/Vendor.make to create targets
for fc6 kernels.  Modify vendor/fc6/kernel.guess to understand fedora's
kernel naming.  I suspect that vendor/rhel4/rpmarch.guess will work just
fine for Fedora.

Joel

--

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
         - Oscar Wilde

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle