[Ocfs2-users] Reproducing fragmentation and out of space error

Hakan Koseoglu hakan at koseoglu.org
Wed May 30 11:42:42 PDT 2012

On 30 May 2012 19:35, Nick Anderson <nick at cmdln.org> wrote:
> Recently I ran into a situation where an ocfs2 (1.4) volume was
> reporting it was out of space when it was not. Deleting some files
> helped short term but the problem quickly comes back.
>
> I believe this is due to the fragmentation bug that I have seen
> references to in the mailing list archive. I am trying to reproduce the
> problem on a test system so that I can validate that upgrading to 1.6
> will resolve the issue.
>
> Curious if anyone has a script that will create a heavily fragmented fs.

Originally we had this problem way back in 2009. The following could
replicate it pretty much quickly.

i=1
until (false) do
   for k in `seq 1 100`; do
     mkdir -p testdir-$1-$i/testdir-$1-$i-$k
     for j in `seq 1 1000`; do
        echo test123 > testdir-$1-$i/testdir-$1-$i-$k/testfile-$j
     done
   done;
   let i=i+1
done

Did the trick last time for me. The disk will be reported to fill up
before actual space.