[Ocfs2-users] Backup issues

Dirk Bonenkamp - ProActive dirk at proactive.nl
Tue Apr 3 11:37:25 PDT 2012

Hi,

I've did the --stats thing:

Number of files: 1495981
Number of files transferred: 2944
Total file size: 201701039047 bytes
Total transferred file size: 613318155 bytes
Literal data: 613292255 bytes
Matched data: 25900 bytes
File list size: 24705311
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 118692
Total bytes received: 638195567

sent 118692 bytes  received 638195567 bytes  154163.57 bytes/sec
total size is 201701039047  speedup is 315.99

This took a staggering 69 minutes, over a Gb connection, useing rsync
direcly (no ssh overhead)

To compare this, this is a similar backup, only this is an ext3
filesystem over a 100 Mbit connection, using an ssh shell:

Number of files: 6486854
Number of files transferred: 0
Total file size: 506568034168 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 153625912
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 335
Total bytes received: 153627330

sent 335 bytes  received 153627330 bytes  419175.08 bytes/sec
total size is 506568034168  speedup is 3297.38
Total backup took 368 seconds.
Rsync took 368 seconds.

(I left the -q switch in this the first time... oeps, so this is the
second run. It took 1315 seconds (21 minutes) the first time,
transferring about 10.000 files).

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Dirk