[Ocfs2-users] Backup issues

Dirk Bonenkamp - ProActive dirk at proactive.nl
Mon Apr 2 12:04:16 PDT 2012

Hi All,

I'm currently testing a OCFS2 set-up, and I'm having issues with
creating backups.

I have a 2 node cluster, running OCFS2 on a dual primary DRBD device.

The file system is 3.7Tb of which 211 Gb is used: about 1.5 million
files in 95 directories.

Everything works fine, except for the backups, which are taking way more
time than on 'regular' file systems.

I'm using rsync for my backups. When I rsync the file system above, this
takes more than an hour, without any modifications to the file system.

Network / disk speed is good. I can rsync a 10 Gb file from the OCFS2
filesystem to the same backup server with just under 100 Mb/s.

I know there is some penalty to be expected from a clustered file
system, but this is al lot. Rsyncing an ext3 file system double the size
(in Mb's and files) of this file system takes about 600 seconds...

Has anybody some advice on a backup strategy for me? Or some tuning tips?

Thanks in advance,

Dirk

--
<http://www.proactive.nl>