[Ocfs2-users] Is OCFS2 1.4.7 Prod Ready ?

Sérgio Surkamp sergio at gruposinternet.com.br
Wed May 18 15:20:47 PDT 2011

Hello Mr. Salaices,

> 1.- Are some/all of these issues resolved ?,

Some of them are solved in 1.6 and some are bogus, like the issue 4 --
the OCFS2 does not officially support SAMBA shares, so reporting
problems with it is pointless.

> 2.- If your Job depended on it would you use OCFS2 Now , using the
> same version/release

My Job depends on it and we have two clusters deployed in production and
are planning the third. They are small, but with heavy IO load, mainly
e-mail.

Cluster 1 (running since 01/2008):
OCFS2 1.4.4
two nodes
SuSE Enterprise 10SP3
Storage: Dell/EMC AX-100 - fibre channel - 800 GiB volume
Will be upgraded to CentOS 5.5 with OCFS 1.6.3

Cluster 2 (running since 11/2010):
OCFS2 1.6.3
two node (two more underway)
CentOS 5.5 + Unbreakable Kernel
Storage: Dell EqualLogic VX4000 - iSCSI - 3.6 TiB volume

Cluster 3 (planned):
OCFS2 1.6.x
four node
CentOS 5.5 + Unbreakable Kernel
Storage: Unknown - iSCSI - unknown size

> 3.- Can we expect to see Release 1.6 without these bugs to be
> available @
> http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/files/RedHat/RHEL5/x86_64/ Soon.

OCFS2 1.6 fixes a lot of bugs, including the "filesystem full" problem.
Take a look at the user guide:
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/dist/documentation/v1.6/ocfs2-1_6-usersguide.pdf

> 4.- if 1.6 Is available in RPM form, stable and downloadable .. Where
> is it ?

Yes, it is. You can download it from the public yum repository:
http://public-yum.oracle.com/ but I can't tell for sure if it works on
RHEL 5.3, because the kernel is available for RHEL/OL/CentOS 5.5,
5.6 and 6.0.

Regards,
--
  .:''''':.
.:'        `     Sérgio Surkamp | Gerente de Rede
::    ........   sergio at gruposinternet.com.br
  `:,   ,.:'     *Grupos Internet S.A.*
    `: :'        R. Lauro Linhares, 2123 Torre B - Sala 201
     : :         Trindade - Florianópolis - SC
     :.'
     ::          +55 48 3234-4109
     :
     '           http://www.gruposinternet.com.br