[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 1.6 for RHEL?

Joel Becker jlbec at evilplan.org
Fri May 13 13:32:47 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 09:53:37PM +0200, Kristian Jörg wrote:
> We are using CentOS (based on RHEL5). So this basically means we are
> stuck with ocfs2 1.4 forever when it comes to official releases?
> But I guess when you release the source code for 1.6 I could try and
> compile it myself for CentOS? 1.6 is still GPL right?

	Yes, you absolutely can compile it yourself.  There is no
guarantees that the specfiles will exist or work, but if you create
working specfiles please sent a patch.

> We have been testing ocfs2 since we have been having huge problems with
> GFS with the kind of filesystems we have (lots and lots of small files
> and mostly read access). Ocfs2 seems to solve all these performance
> problems and we had high hopes for it. However the news that 1.6 and
> forward will not be available for RHEL/CentOS is bad news. I do hope you
> will reconsider. A big user base is the best way to make successful
> products IMHO.

	The latest ocfs2 is always in mainline.  Any distro building a
recent kernel an including ocfs2 will have it.  As Sunil says, this
includes Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, and OpenSuSE.  Whether ocfs2 is enabled
in the CentOS kernel is up to CentOS.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #232