[Ocfs2-users] cannot write to filesystem, permission denied?

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Tue Jun 7 06:06:18 PDT 2011

Sven Karlsson [07.06.2011 14:47]:
> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Werner Flamme <werner.flamme at ufz.de> wrote:
>> Sven Karlsson [07.06.2011 14:01]:
>> Unfortunately, mount shows the filesystem as rw when even when it was
>> remounted ro because of errors (mount option: errors=remount-ro). Maybe
>> dmesg can tell you if there were errors and that the drive is in ro
>> access now.
>
> No such message in dmesg. Perhaps this info is available elsewhere?
>

>> I suggest that you unmount the filesystem on all nodes and do a
>
> It's only one node at the moment so no problem there. mounted.ocfs2
> also reports that its only accessed at the local node.
>
>> fsck.ocfs2 -f dev/mapper/vg01-lv_mycluster
>
> Now this is strange:
>
> # fsck.ocfs2 -f /dev/vg01/lv_mycluster
> fsck.ocfs2 1.6.3
> fsck.ocfs2: Could not create domain while initializing the DLM
> #
>
> However, if the filesystem is mounted, it is checked OK
> with fsck.ocfs2 -nf  ...
>
> Maybe there is some locking problem? I also tried mounting the
> filesystem with heartbeat=none, mount=local, but these options seems
> to be for older ocfs2 versions.

Sven,

as to dmesg: I know these infos only from dmesg. Sometimes I am
surprised how many infos I am missing when I only look at
/var/log/messages instead... I found all important ocfs2 messages in
dmesg. May be other on your box, I have SLES only.

Did you do the "o2cb configure" thing before mounting the filesystem?
The "Could not create domain" sounds to me like a bit of
misconfiguration. And the output of "/etc/init.d/o2cb status" should
look like (depending on the values you gave at configure time):

Driver for "configfs": Loaded
Filesystem "configfs": Mounted
Stack glue driver: Loaded
Stack plugin "o2cb": Loaded
Driver for "ocfs2_dlmfs": Loaded
Filesystem "ocfs2_dlmfs": Mounted
Checking O2CB cluster ocfs2: Online
Heartbeat dead threshold = 61
  Network idle timeout: 60000
  Network keepalive delay: 10000
  Network reconnect delay: 10000
Checking O2CB heartbeat: Active

Maybe you have to "/etc/init.d/o2cb offline" and reconfigure? That
helped for me (in 1 case out of my 15 nodes). After reconfiguration, you
may mount again and see the results via dmesg (I do). This may be
necessary when you hat o2cb online first and created the cluster
afterwards. I found it necessary to first create the cluster config,
then "o2cb configure", and then mounting.

Can you see your cluster in ocfs2console? Is your
/etc/ocfs2/cluster.conf correct? My man page for o2cb_ctl says "Users
are not advised to use this program directly but instead use the O2CB
init service and/or ocfs2console." I learned to obey such hints ;-)

Regards,
Werner