[Ocfs2-users] ping_pong using o2cb and cman

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Tue Jan 18 11:06:42 PST 2011

fcntl() locking does not pair at all with dlm locking. So both ocfs2 and gfs2
use a special scheme just for this lock. Both use the ordered messaging
provided by the corosync cluster engine. This lock is fully synchronised and
thus is not as performant as it can be. (Both cman and pacemaker use cce.)

But that's ok because fcntl()'s locking semantics is not what you think it is.
The lock is almost useless in this day and age. The only use is supporting
legacy apps. For more refer to Jeremy Allison's overview of this user lock.
http://www.samba.org/samba/news/articles/low_point/tale_two_stds_os2.html

Given that and considering most apps allow users to choose between fcntl()
and flock(), we've decided for now to just support the latter with o2cb.

flock() pairs well with dlm locking.