[Ocfs2-users] Performance degrade when more nodes adding

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Fri Feb 4 10:34:47 PST 2011

How many nodes are you talking about?

Remember that file system/cluster software is not the only component
that is involved in scaling.

You have to consider the hardware involved too. If the storage array
is close to saturated with the number of nodes you have, adding another
node will not help. Same goes for the interconnect. Also, the cpu/memory
in each node. User mostly look at the memory requirement of the userspace
app ignoring the fact that the fs needs to cache the inodes and locks.
If the memory is low, the inodes will end up being freed forcing the fs/dlm
to remaster the same locks over and over again. Cpu also plays a role.
The lock synchronization takes some cpu. Meaning one can scale a dual
core node to only so many nodes. And that number depends heavily on
the workload.

Test your workload. Locate the bottleneck. If it is a software bottleneck,
then post your findings and we can include that in our todo list.