[Ocfs2-users] disabling self-fencing

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Tue Nov 2 13:17:42 PDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 02:10:53PM +0100, Riccardo Villa wrote:
> on my nodes I have another cluster manager running that takes care of
> fencing the node, is it safe to disable ocfs2 self-fencing?
>
> Details:
> I'm using ocfs2 over drbd in master/master aka primary/primary mode.
> In case of loss of network connectivity I would like to disconnect the
> drbd device, invalidate it and unmount the filesystem but ocfs2
> reboots the node....
>
> Is it possible to disable ocfs2 self-fencing in other ways rather than
> commenting-out releveant code in ocfs2 kernel module?

	No, because there is no way for the ocfs2 software to be
notified by your other code that it has been fenced.  Since ocfs2 can't
be notified, it can't know whether it made a decision that would result
in a corruption before or after your fencing software did its job.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #94

	"Make it a habit to do nice things for people who
	 will never find out."

Joel Becker
Senior Development Manager
Oracle