[Ocfs2-users] compile error on sles 11

Werner Flamme werner.flamme at ufz.de
Tue May 4 02:42:02 PDT 2010

Sunil Mushran [26.04.2010 19:26]:
> Werner Flamme wrote:
>> For RHEL there are readyly built packages, why would I build my own
>> packages then? The build worked fine with another SLES10.
>>
>> Yes, ocfs2 is included by SLES. Not SLES 11, of course - it is in the
>> separately sold "High Availability" package. But the version included in
>> SLES9/10 does not allow to mount a volume that has been created by RHEL
>> (or, in that case, the software that is sold as Oracle Unbreakable
>> Linux). It refuses to mount with "mount.ocfs2: Unsupported feature(s)
>> found while opening device /dev/sdb".
>>

> # tunefs.ocfs2 -Q "%M %H %O\n" /dev/sdX
> Look at the features enabled on the volume. Then check the features
> supported by ocfs2 on the distro. The docs should have that.

Thank you. Took a while to get this posting out of spam quarantine :-(
We had problems here for the last weeks :-(

So, on the SLES10 where I succeeded in building the packages for ocfs2
and ocfs2-tools from source, I entered this command and got

xsapora:~ # tunefs.ocfs2 -Q "%M %H %O\n" /dev/sda
backup-super strict-journal-super sparse inline-data unwritten

Now I'm looking for the docs that should describe the features that are
implemented in the ocfs2 packages coming along with SLES10. I think I
failed, there are no docs for that, but I found
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ocfs2.txt. I don't see a list
of features, but only a list of lacking features:

- ---snip---
Caveats
=======
Features which OCFS2 does not support yet:
        - sparse files
        - extended attributes
        - shared writeable mmap
        - loopback is supported, but data written will not
          be cluster coherent.
        - quotas
        - cluster aware flock
        - cluster aware lockf
        - Directory change notification (F_NOTIFY)
        - Distributed Caching (F_SETLEASE/F_GETLEASE/break_lease)
        - POSIX ACLs
        - readpages / writepages (not user visible)
- ---pins---

So, when I get it right, the "sparse" feature has to be disabled. Am I
right here?

> Read the ocfs2 1.4 user's guide. It explains this in detail.
>
>> This sure is a feature, I know. However, I do have to share a volume
>> between the Oracle RAC running on the "Oracle Unbreakable Linux" boxes
>> and my SAP servers running with SLES. How can I do that? Do I really
>> have to delete the filesystems on the RAC an re-create them with the
>> (older) versions on SLES?

> No, you can disable that feature.

Just asking to be sure to disable the right feature...

Regards,
Werner