[Ocfs2-users] Probles resizing a partition

Mattia Gandolfi matgand at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 09:58:02 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I'm a new OCFS2 user, I'm trying to implement a 2-nodes cluster with a
shared fs, and I'm facing an issue while trying to resize an existing ocfs2
filesystem.
I see from the User's Guide and from online docunmentation (
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/dist/documentation/ocfs2_faq.html#RESIZEfor
example) that online resizing is not supported yet, so I'm going the
offline way.

What I did:
- umount file fs from all (2) cluster nodes
- resized the underlying LUN on the storage
- reboot
- deleted and recreated the partition (/dev/sdc1) with fdisk
- tryed to resize the fs with "tunefs.ocfs2 -S -vvv /dev/sdc1"

however, if the fs is unmounted I get

[root at alfappmi-preprod01 ~]# tunefs.ocfs2 -S -vvv /dev/sdc1
Resize specifications: 0 bytes:
Opening device "/dev/sdc1"
Open of device "/dev/sdc1" failed
tunefs.ocfs2: Mountpoint not found for online operation while opening device
"/dev/sdc1"

if I try to do it with the fs mounted I get

[root at alfappmi-preprod01 ~]# tunefs.ocfs2 -S -vvv /dev/sdc1
Resize specifications: 0 bytes:
Opening device "/dev/sdc1"
Device "/dev/sdc1" opened
Running operation "resize_volume"
Opening device "/dev/sdc1"
Device "/dev/sdc1" opened
Filesystem on device "/dev/sdc1" is already 13107024 clusters; nothing to do
Closing device "/dev/sdc1"
Device closed
Closing device "/dev/sdc1"
Device closed

according to the documentation -S shoud be enough ("If blocks-count is not
specified, tunefs.ocfs2 extends the volume to the current size of the
device").

What am I missing?

Thank you very much in advance

Cheers