[Ocfs2-users] df showing wrong size

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Mon Jun 28 09:29:22 PDT 2010

On 06/28/2010 07:57 AM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Garcia, Raymundo
> <Raymundo.Garcia at philips.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hello… it was put under my attention that a partition we have in one of our
>> production system was displaying wrong size with df command…. 123 GB… but in
>> fact the size of all the files is a mere 15 GB…. What is going on? Shall we
>> use ocfs.fsck to fix that? Is strange…
>>
> As others have mentioned, this could be still-open files that have
> been deleted.  It could also be that ocfs2 is leaking free space.  I
> thought journaling file systems didn't have "orphan" files after
> reboot, but I could be wrong.
>
> I think I have seen ocfs2 leak free space even during normal
> operation, but I am still working on reproducing it.
>
> If you do run fsck.ocfs2 -- you probably want to use "fsck.ocfs2 -fy"
> -- could you please send the output to the list?

ocfs2 is a journaled file system. But it is also a clustered file system.
So it cannot arbitrarily delete orphaned files because they could still be
in use on another node.

Having said that, we did have a bug that could result in orphaned files
not getting deleted. This has since been fixed.

For (RH)EL5 users:
Bug was introduced in ocfs2 1.4.1 and fixed in 1.4.4.
http://oss.oracle.com/projects/ocfs2/news/article_21.html

For SLES users:
Introduced in base sles10 sp2. It has since been fixed. I don't know the
kernel version offhand.

For mainline users:
Fixed in 2.6.31.

Sunil