[Ocfs2-users] Kernel independent OCFS2 packages for RHEL, Scientific Linux and CentOS

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Fri Jun 18 15:08:34 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:35:50PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> The only thing we could do is prevent the package to be installed if
> an older kernel is available, however we thought that was one bridge
> too far. The best solution is to make the mechanism stronger in such
> a way that this cannot happen, but we are only using what is
> available to us.

	I completely agree that you shouldn't prevent installation just
because an older kernel is available.  I think the mechanism should
instead have, at a minimum, a way to delineate versions to link to.  I
realize I'm talking about a capability it currently does not have.

> In fact there is a Driver Backport WorkGroup at the Linux Foundation
> lead by Jon Masers of Red Hat, and we follow his recommendations. If
> you think we can or should improve the infrastructure in future
> updates, I guess it's best to bring those issues up.

	I think that the mechanism needs to be improved to take into
account the myriad ABI and behavior changes that don't affect function
signatures.  I've never managed to completely solve them myself
(otherwise you'd see ocfs2 packaged differently), but I know there are
measures that are more stringent that what exists now.

> Of course, I am sympathetic with corporate support issues, so please
> provide me with the specifics and rationale for any changes you
> desire
> and I will discuss it with the rest of the team.

	Well, I don't have a specific answer right now.  I guess I'll
have to look at your packages and page directly to see what I can
suggest.

Joel

--

 print STDOUT q