[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2-tools 1.4.4 build at debian lenny

Andrew Robert Nicols andrew.nicols at luns.net.uk
Thu Jun 3 06:23:20 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 03:54:50PM +0400, Proskurin Kirill wrote:
> First of all I will be really glad if some one write few words about now
> to make ocfs2-tools 1.4.4 at debian in right way.

Congratulations - it's the best way to go. Maintaining servers from source
is a world of pain.

> Below i write how I try to build it:
>
> I download the sources and seems to they ready for debian - "debian"
> folder with configs inside and I start to hope what it will be easy.

It looks like the debian packaging for ocfs2-tools in the source package is
prety much unmaintained. The version in debian/changelog corresponds to
1.3.9-1 (UNRELEASED). There have been a lot of changes since then.

> But run on some problems:
> 1) It is normal what version inside sources is 1.3.9-1? Why not 1.4.4-1?
> 2) debuild -rfakeroot stops with "No PO directory found, use the --podir
> flag to tell where it is... exiting"

Try dpkg-buildpackage instead of debuild -rfakeroot.

Read the man page for the flags you want, but you're probably after
something like:

dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -sa -rfakeroot

You may also consider running it inside a virtual environment of some kind
(e.g. virtualbox, vserver, openvz, etc).

> I read about debconf-updatepo but don`t get what I need to do. I try to
> comment it to look forward.
>
> 3) So without this it is seems to compile well but I see this warnings:
>
> W: ocfs2-tools source: substvar-source-version-is-deprecated
> ocfs2-tools-static-dev
> W: ocfs2-tools source: ancient-standards-version 3.7.2.0 (current is 3.8.0)
> E: ocfs2-tools source: not-using-po-debconf
> W: ocfs2-tools source: changelog-should-mention-nmu
> W: ocfs2-tools source: source-nmu-has-incorrect-version-number 1.3.9-1
> W: ocfs2-tools source: quilt-build-dep-but-no-series-file ocfs2-tools
> W: ocfs2-tools source: native-package-with-dash-version
> E: ocfs2-tools: no-template-description ocfs2-tools/init
> E: ocfs2-tools: unknown-field-in-templates ocfs2-tools/init _description
> W: ocfs2-tools: malformed-question-in-templates ocfs2-tools/init
> E: ocfs2-tools: no-template-description ocfs2-tools/clustername
> E: ocfs2-tools: unknown-field-in-templates ocfs2-tools/clustername
> _description
> E: ocfs2-tools: no-template-description ocfs2-tools/heartbeat_threshold
> E: ocfs2-tools: unknown-field-in-templates
> ocfs2-tools/heartbeat_threshold _description
> E: ocfs2-tools: no-template-description ocfs2-tools/idle_timeout
> E: ocfs2-tools: unknown-field-in-templates ocfs2-tools/idle_timeout
> _description
> E: ocfs2-tools: no-template-description ocfs2-tools/keepalive_delay
> E: ocfs2-tools: unknown-field-in-templates ocfs2-tools/keepalive_delay
> _description
> E: ocfs2-tools: no-template-description ocfs2-tools/reconnect_delay
> E: ocfs2-tools: unknown-field-in-templates ocfs2-tools/reconnect_delay
> _description

Looks like the package isn't quite right...
nmu = non-maintainer upload
The standards version (3.7.2.0) of the package you're looking at is pretty
old so that's a good place to start. Also, the package version is odd
1.3.9-1.

If you are building a package, and including it in a debian repo (e.g.
reprepro), make sure that you use a version number like 1.4.4~foo-0 such
that if 1.4.4 hits backports, you can switch to that easily. (1.4.4-0 >
1.4.4~foo-0).

Also, if you need to update the changelog, look at tools like dch rather
than trying to do it yourself. There are a lot of really useful tools in
the devscripts package (e.g. dch, debc, etc).

You could also look at the current package source using apt-get source
ocfs2-tools and creating a buildable package from there...

Andrew

--
Systems Developer

e: andrew.nicols at luns.net.uk
im: a.nicols at jabber.lancs.ac.uk
t: +44 (0)1524 5 10147

Lancaster University Network Services is a limited company registered in
England and Wales. Registered number: 04311892. Registered office:
University House, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YW