[Ocfs2-users] servers blocked on ocfs2

Thomas.Zimolong at bmi.bund.de Thomas.Zimolong at bmi.bund.de
Fri Dec 10 00:30:58 PST 2010

Hi!

> first of all thanks for the answer, but are you saying that is better to
use a switch that a direct cable between nodes?
> I thought that using a switch adds an extra point of failure and also
spends a couple of switch ports unnecessarily.
> What is the problem in using crossover cables?

One problem with using a crossover cable could be, that when one node goes
down, the other node has no link on the corresponding interface too.

"No link" usually makes the node "think" it's got a problem itself (while in
fact only the other node has a problem). This may lead to self-fencing.

Using a switch avoids this situation, since a switch will still deliver link
to the "good" node, even when the other node is down.

In my opinion it's not "unnecessary" to dedicate some switch ports to this.
And if you consequently think of high availability ( and scalability) you
should consider making your network environment high available (i.e.
redundant) anyway, which means that there would be no extra point of failure.

Greetz,
Zimo