[Ocfs2-users] backup performance problem and snapshot

Giovanni Sciortino giovannibattistasciortino at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 02:34:14 PDT 2010

Hi,
i'm using ocfs2-1.4.4-1 on a cluster of 16 nodes, each node uses rhel 5.4
(kernel version 2.6.18-164.11.1) and it's connected to the other nodes with
a 10Gb/s Ethernet.
The ocfs cluster contains a Ocfs filesystem of 3 terabyte over a LVM logic
volume, I use this filesystem to store the home directories of users.
I need to backup this filesystem but there is a very low transfer rate(it's
about 4MB/s) from the OCFS fs and the tape, i  try to copy the data from
OCFS fs to a ext3 using cp and I obtain similar transfer rates.
I use also another ocfs cluster of only two nodes in an another vlan of the
same network and I obtain a transfer rate from OCFS fylesystem to other
fylestem of 20 MB/s.

Has anyone got a similar performance problems with OCFS clusters or some
suggestions in order to solve this problem?

Does OCFS provide a snapshot feature in order to backup quickly the OCFS
filesystem?

Giovanni Sciortino