[Ocfs2-users] Max number of files?

Karl Katzke kkatzke at tamu.edu
Mon May 11 21:19:27 PDT 2009

Andy,

Did you check your inode usage?

-K

---
Karl Katzke
Systems Analyst II
TAMU - DRGS

>>> "Andrew (Anything)" <anything at starstrike.net> 5/11/2009 11:13 PM

Hi All.

Today I was copying a heap of files to an ocfs2 partition today for a
website when I started experiencing strange problems (where file
creations silently just wouldn*t happen), then eventually *no space left
on device* errors.
With >100gb free I was quite confused.
One of the first google results for the issue
(http://www.mail-archive.com/ocfs2-users@oss.oracle.com/msg03082.html)
suggested that Nuno was able to get by the problem by deleting 275,000
files.

As this poor old disk that has many files (perhaps as many as 5
million) I thought perhaps ive hit some sort of limit.
I too am now on a deleting spree, removing nearly 500,000 I can go
without.
Shortly after I began the delete I*ve re-attempted copying the files,
and now they succeeded.

I*ve been looking around for any sort of limit on number of files (or
number of inodes?) that ocfs2 can support, and have only found that
*OCFS2 1.4 has no intrinsic limit on the total number of files and
directories in the file
system*.* In the ocfs2 1.4 users guide.

If there is no such limit can anyone suggest what might have happened
to my file system today? I*d like to avoid it in the future.

Andy..