[Ocfs2-users] Max number of files?

Andrew (Anything) anything at starstrike.net
Mon May 11 21:13:53 PDT 2009

Hi All.

Today I was copying a heap of files to an ocfs2 partition today for a
website when I started experiencing strange problems (where file creations
silently just wouldn't happen), then eventually 'no space left on device'
errors.

With >100gb free I was quite confused.

One of the first google results for the issue
(http://www.mail-archive.com/ocfs2-users@oss.oracle.com/msg03082.html)
suggested that Nuno was able to get by the problem by deleting 275,000
files.

As this poor old disk that has many files (perhaps as many as 5 million) I
thought perhaps ive hit some sort of limit.

I too am now on a deleting spree, removing nearly 500,000 I can go without.

Shortly after I began the delete I've re-attempted copying the files, and
now they succeeded.

I've been looking around for any sort of limit on number of files (or number
of inodes?) that ocfs2 can support, and have only found that "OCFS2 1.4 has
no intrinsic limit on the total number of files and directories in the file

system.." In the ocfs2 1.4 users guide.

If there is no such limit can anyone suggest what might have happened to my
file system today? I'd like to avoid it in the future.

Andy..