[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 hosting and running binaries

Luis Freitas lfreitas34 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 9 14:34:16 PDT 2009

Saul,

   OCFS2 1.2 doesnt has support for indexed directories. So you will need to have a cleaning procedure for the database dump directories to keep the quantity of log files reasonable. Unless you dont mind a "ls" hanging when you try to find a trace. I am not sure if OCFS 1. has support for indexed directories on the enterprise tree.

   Also when sharing database binaries there is a need to use a special type of file that is different on each node for certain configuration files . The OCFS2 1.2 "enterprise" has support for this. This was necessary on 10g, not sure about 11g.

    There are some files that need to be outside of OCFS2 1.2 so you will need to create some symlinks for each database too. And the mount options for database files and binaries/traces are different, so you will need to plan your filesystems in a way to keep datafiles, logfiles, archivelogs separated from your binaries and trace/dump locations.

    One important point is that when you do this you will be unable to do a rolling patch application. Depending on your availability requirements this could be important.

    Also you introduce a single point of failure. If someone accidentaly damage or delete a important database or configuration file the entire cluster will fail. When you have non-shared binaries filesystems one would expect the other nodes to continue operating if this happens.

Regards,
Luis