[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 hosting and running binaries

Saul Gabay SaulG at herbalife.com
Tue Jun 9 12:09:23 PDT 2009

We are currently using OCFS2 to host multiple Oracle 10g RAC databases
on Itanium servers running Redhat AS 4.7, we are running this OCFS2
version so far with no issues

ocfs2-2.6.9-78.0.13.EL-1.2.9-1.el4

We would like to use OCFS2 to host binaries files for the database and /
or application.

This will be 4 active nodes mounting an OCFS2 formatted LUN through
iSCSI.

What are the issues, caveats or things we need to be aware if we take
this approach.

Like, is there a limit on the number of files or directories hosted on
OCFS2?

Are there a performance issue / degradation in comparison with GFS
hosting binaries files?

What are the good, bad and ugly of OCFS2 in comparison with GFS hosting
binaries files?

Is OCFS2 certified by Oracle to run database/application binaries?

Please advice what is your experience on this topic, it will be greatly
appreciated.

Saul