[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 hangs during webserver usage

Brian Kroth bpkroth at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:05:02 PST 2009

I've run a web cluster with OCFS2 for almost two years now and found the
local log files option to work just fine.  You can use various tools to
merge them, though the things that come with awstats have suited my
tastes.

As for monitoring multiple nodes logs during troubleshooting, I've used
swatch and cssh.  This may depend upon your setup, but in general the
individual node that a client is connected to doesn't change frequently.

Here are some other possible solutions to the problems you mentioned.

David Johle <djohle at industrialinfo.com> 2009-01-28 13:53:
> 1) Lots of VirtualHosts, and I believe the correlation of a log with
> a particular host is lost when using syslog as there aren't enough
> "facilities" to allocate one per VH.

Include the vhost name in the logging output.  You already should be
doing this if you're using mod_vhost_alias.  If you really want separate
logs per vhost have your syslog server split them back out.  I know
syslog-ng can do this.

> 2) A single syslog server is a single point of failure (for logging
> at least).  I guess I could set up multiple syslog destinations and
> have each server send duplicate syslogs out.

One method might be to use heartbeat (linux-ha.org) and rotate the
service ip that syslog clients send to based on the health of a couple
of syslog servers.

> 3) More network overhead, especially in the case of multiple log servers.

You already have that to some extent if you're logging to OCFS2.