[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 hangs during webserver usage

David Johle djohle at industrialinfo.com
Wed Jan 28 11:53:52 PST 2009

1) Lots of VirtualHosts, and I believe the correlation of a log with
a particular host is lost when using syslog as there aren't enough
"facilities" to allocate one per VH.

2) A single syslog server is a single point of failure (for logging
at least).  I guess I could set up multiple syslog destinations and
have each server send duplicate syslogs out.

3) More network overhead, especially in the case of multiple log servers.

4) Doesn't address combined logging of non-Apache processes (e.g.
Tomcat), which may eventually have the same issue.

I did see mod_log_spread, which sounds like a promising alternative
to apache syslogging as it addresses #1-3 above.
http://www.backhand.org/mod_log_spread