[Ocfs2-users] ocfs2 hangs during webserver usage

Michael Moody michael at gsc.cc
Wed Jan 28 01:22:22 PST 2009

It's also worth pointing out that it wouldn't be best to write even to separate log files on the ocfs2 volume. For one, using iSCSI, you're probably using only gigabit Ethernet. (You could be using 10gigE, but you didn't mention it). As performance is a concern, I would move what I could off of the ocfs2 volume (including, where possible, shared codebase) to local storage, and utilize symlinks where needed. For logging, again, I highly recommend using local storage only. As I said, we've been using this in production for many webservers for a long time (over 2 years), and we've learned a lot of lessons over those years.

1.       Log to local disk only, we've had MANY problems with write contention and log files (this is my number on recommendation, and moving those log files will probably eliminate your problem)

2.       Move common code/files to local storage where possible (for instance, we have vbulletin, with the attachments, etc on the ocfs2 volume, but the php files which are common are on local storage)

Michael